Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Rangers in the Playoffs

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2010/10/12/2010-10-12_rangers_and_ace_pitcher_cliff_lee_eliminate_rays_with_51_win_advance_to_face_yan.html

This article is by Roger Rubin of the NY Daily News. It discusses how the Texas Rangers will be facing the New York Yankees in the ALCS. Rubin took the direction of focusing on Cliff Lee in the article and talks about how the Yankees were potentially going to acquire him in a trade earlier in the season but did not. The focus of the article remains all Lee throughout and compares how the Yankees have done against him and the Rangers all season to give fans a preview of how the series may play out. I know this is a New York paper and fans want to read something that talks about the Yankees in it, but I thought the article could have focused a little more on the Rangers and how they got to the ALCS rather than comparing them to the Yankees. Rubin chose to use quotes from Lee about how he can't wait to face the Yankees and even mentioned how the Rays fans chanted "Beat the Yankees" as Texas celebrated. Again, I know he's writing for a New York paper and did a good job on the direction he chose for the article, but focus a little more on the Rangers rather than the god-like Yankees and how they have such an advantage in the series.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with the thought that the paper could have focused a little more on the Rangers and how they got to the ALCS rather than comparing them to the Yankees because I like that "against the norm" stuff. Also I can see how it is a little personal between Lee and the Yankees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very interesting because both you and Johnny picked different stories about the same game. Both are game stories, but they are tailored toward different audiences. Both focus on Cliff Lee, but as noted here, Roger Rubin makes a point of talking about Lee in the context of what he means to New York. I like the fact that Kyle notes how NY-centric the article is. Though my personal opinion is that it needs to be for his audience to make it different than what the Daily News would have gotten by just running AP. You are allowed to have a different opinion.

    ReplyDelete