There are a couple of things that I noticed in the recent article about the release of Matt Leinart. I believe there is a flaw in the lede, Judy Battista assumes that Leinart would have probably went number one if he left college a year early. There could be an argument on the side that it might have been difficult since the other top QB and first pick was Alex Smith. It also depends on the team with the number one pick as well. She also mentions that Leinart wanted to be a starter if traded, which I was not aware of until now. Making this public was a bad idea for Leinart because if he is not talented enough to be a starter with WR Fitzgerald, WR Breaston, RB Wells, RB Hightower and a decent offensive line, how are other coaches and owners going to feel about him with a lesser caliber team? Also, most teams have their starting QB in place. However, I found it gracious on his part to thank the Bidwell family. It was also right on Coach Whisenhunt's part to say Matt Leinart made progress and a "fresh start" would benefit him more than an Arizona backup role.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/05/sports/football/05nfl.html?ref=sports
Major kudos to Anthony for being the first student to post. (I wasn't going to make you start doing it until next week, but this of course will get you some bonus points.) Interesting comment about the flaw in the lede. I think this will be a good post to discuss in class next week.
ReplyDeletei agree with you and find it interesting that Carrol, former coach of leinart and now head coach of the seahawks made no move for him.
ReplyDelete