http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2010/09/19/2010-09-19_plaxico_talks_about_life_behind_bars.html
I thought this was a great feature on Plaxico Burress and how he is holding up in jail. Burress was sentenced to 2 years on felony gun possession a charge that I still deem as being too harsh. Since then he has applied for work-release twice but both times denied. It was interesting also that the story mentioned that half of the 400 public prosecutors believed that there should have been no jail time. The writer also mentioned Burress's conversations with his son and him moping the floor making the readers feel sympathetic and engaged in the story. It was nice to read that giants qb coach mike sullivan, brandon jacobs, and both former and current gm's were still in contact with Burress. I thought the feature was very well written and made me feel bad for the guy but also look forward to his return.
I definitely agree that the article portrays Burress as the protagonist. My only issue in regards to feeling sorry for him is this - He broke the law. In New York State, we have probably the strictest gun laws in the nation. These were put in place to lower the crime rates throughout the city and have been effective. Burress did not go to jail for shooting himself, he went to jail for being in possession of the weapon. Yes, it's very sad that he can't be with his wife and son, but neither can any other felon who is doing jail time! When the news writes a "life behind bars" feature about a regular joe doing the same time as Plax for the same crime, then I may feel sympathetic. I can't feel bad for him though. The NFL has a policy in place for him to call a plain clothes officer to escort him. There was no need for him to have the gun. END OF STORY!
ReplyDeleteI agree with those 400 public prosectors that there should not have been jail time. Anyway, I expected there to be some contact with Burress by the organization, but not as much as said in the story. Thus, I do see the sympathy in the story.
ReplyDeleteNotice this article comes out after the Giant's first loss of the season. It's almost as if they had the article ready and waited to use it for now to remind Giants fans of somebody that may have helped them win last week.
ReplyDelete