Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Spain Suffers Its First Loss Since Winning the World Cup

Posted By: Ramiro S. Funez

Link To Original Story: http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/09/07/sports/soccer/AP-SOC-Spain-Argentina.html?_r=1&ref=soccer

Argentina's national men's soccer team defeated Spain, this summer's FIFA 2010 World Cup Champion, yesterday with a grueling 4-1 result.

The Iberian champions, currently ranked number one in the world, lost to the South American soccer giants in Buenos Aires.

I believe that this article was very well written and perfectly captured the essence of the game in an informative way.

The article, published by the Associated Press, took an interesting angle by introducing a new coaching administration within Argentina's soccer federation, who was formerly delegated by soccer star Diego Maradona.

However, after reading the article, it seemed as if the writer favored Argentina's victory because of the way that they described the win.

Towards the end of the article, I liked the way that the writer gave a back story to both of the teams. They mentioned that Spain "had not allowed four goals since a 4-1 exhibition defeat at Germany in August 2000."

They also wrote, "It was the second victory for interim coach Sergio Batista, who took over after Diego Maradona was let go following a 4-0 loss to Germany in this year's World Cup quarterfinals. Argentina defeated Ireland 1-0 in an exhibition last month."

In terms of providing facts and information, the writer did an excellent job. However, I still felt that he kind of favored Spain's loss because of the way that he described the goals scored.

3 comments:

  1. I did not know about the Maradona angle, that was interesting. I also see the favoring of Argentina with mentioning the scoring and the team coaching scenario.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see what you're talking about with the article favoring Argentina, but to me it seems that the article is just being critical of Spain. People want to hear about Spain because now the whole world has their attention focused on them. The article mentions how the backup goalie took part in most of Argentina's goals and mentions how Spain has not given up 4 goals since an exhibition in 2000 against Germany. To me, the article is being critical of Spain while at the same time not giving Argentina as much credit due to the start of the backup goalie and his part in the goals Argentina scored.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post because it is a game story, which you guys are going to be working on the next two weeks. I would like to talk in class about why you think the writer favored Argentina. Was it the phrase "shaky goalkeeping?

    ReplyDelete